Archive for December, 2010
Mobile internet in India has been picking up fast and a recent report released by Opera reveals that page views have seen a 416.9 per cent increase during November this year, compared to last year.
Following are the Top ten mobile websites surfed in India:
* Use XHTML Basic 1.0.
* Minimize the use of images. If you must use them, make them relevant and supply meaningful ALT text so that mobile devices can use the text descriptions.
* Make images smaller than 100 pixels. Specify the image height and width in the source code.
* Don’t use background images on your mobile pages.
* Set margins and padding to 0. Widths and margins are detrimental to good handheld display.
* Use one column layouts and avoid floats. Horizontal overflow can be a problem on handhelds, so make sure wide elements fit the narrow screen.
* Add skip anchors. ‘Skip to content’ and ‘Back to top’ anchor links are vital when using a mobile device.
* Be consistent. Use similar alignment, color, and layout on pages.
* Align content to the left.
* Place non-essential links and other marginal content at the bottom of the page.
* Take advantage of ordered lists of links and accesskeys.
* Use external style sheets to control presentation.
* Ensure that contents are readable without style sheets.
* Use the link element to link to an external style sheet. Some handhelds don’t recognize @import or @media.